A REQUEST!

God sent me an awesome blessing. A critique partner volunteered to send a recommendation for me to her agent. This agent "just happened" to be on the top of my list of agents to query. He responded to my query/proposal in a record-breaking 4 days (it normally takes a minimum of 2 -6 weeks). What a difference a reference makes. He didn't ask for the full manuscript, but he left the door open. He said he felt the book starts out a little slow for a suspense novel, then invited me to make changes and resubmit.

I jumped right in to revising my first several pages, then sent it out for critiques. What came back wasn't good. I racked my brains trying to figure out how I could put more action into the beginning, but kept hitting roadblock after roadblock.

Then during my Bible study, I read a story about a lifeguard who saved a drowning maN. He couldn't save the man while the man was floundering around trying to save himself. He had to wait until the man tired himself out. I realized I was doing the same thing. Once I quit trying to do it myself, God revealed not only how I could revise the opening without messing up the storyline, but why the other opening wasn't right.

So I am now finishing up another revision of the first couple of chapters (for what seems like the umpteenth time LOL) and will resubmit it by the end of the week. God is so good. I still don't know how it will all come together, but I understand more than ever now that God is in charge.

No comments:

Post a Comment